Flat Roof & Gutters

Old 04-02-09, 04:50 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flat Roof & Gutters

Hello all:

It is dawning on me as I write this that my gutter issue is probably related to my house having a flat roof. Let's see what you guys think and if you can recommend a fix.

1) I have a flat tarred roof (3000 sq ft)

2) I have rain water dripping behind my gutters at 3 distinct locations. (probably where the roof has been designed to slope and allow for drainage).

3) The fascia is covered with aluminum and there is a drip edge which is (more or less) at the level of the roof line.

It seems that the rain water must be rolling over the drip edge and right behind the gutter instead of INTO the gutter. With a flat roof, is there any way a drip edge has any chance of working? Does anyone know how gutters should be installed with a flat roof?

I welcome all thoughts and suggestions.

Thx,
Theo

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-09, 08:43 PM
R
You have a few options on how to fix this problem.

The simplest and cheapest option is simply to bend the drip edge up. Just get your fingers underneath and lift it to give it a bend until it's on enough of an angle that it clears your fascia by about 1/2". I do this trick often on two story roofs where no one can see the drip edge, but don't tell anyone

Another option is to run a bead of caulking along the top edge of your eavestrough where it meets the roof. This works very well, but I dislike this because it's a pain to take off old trough that's glued to the fascia, and it looks ugly.

The third option is to install a drip edge, basically an L shaped piece of aluminum that, on a shingled roof, is fastened under the shingles to extend them an inch or so away from the fascia. With a flat (unshingled) roof this may not be an option. It's usually the most expensive, but best for visual appeal.

Let us know what you end up doing, and how it goes. It seems like no one ever checks back

Old 04-06-09, 06:20 AM
T
Upon further analysis, I find that there is caulking between the gutter and the fascia! So, the installer used one of your recommendations. The leaks must be where the caulk is deteriorated. I will do some patching and see if this fixes it.

Thanks, Rob.