Ugly Galvanized Guttering

Old 04-07-09, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ugly Galvanized Guttering

We have galvanized guttering on our house, and since we have to paint the trim anyway, is it possible to take the guttering off and paint it too? What kind of paint? Rustoleum? Regular exterior paint like what is going on the trim (*fingers crossed it's that one*)? Something else? It's starting to rust--not so bad that there's gaping holes in it, but it seems like it could use some TLC to help it live a bit longer.

Also, do you guys recommend using some paintable caulk in the seams to help prevent leaking? Or something else?

Thanks!

Old 04-09-09, 01:06 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If its starting to rust, I'd just relace it. Once the rust starts, it'll be back soon UNLESS you have a super fail-proof way of getting every molecule of rust out.

If it's to expensive to replce for you, then your solution of painting will be temporary; it'll probably start rusting again soon (especially if you didn't get every spec of rust).

I don't know about the paint because gutters hold water and I don't see paint off the shelf doing lasting too long. But if you do have the extra time and want to try it, be sure to prime it first with a good primer.

Also, I've used caulk as a fix in this context and have had good luck with it. Just be sure you get the best, highest quality out there for this outdoor application. I'd not worry about the paintable kind and get the silicone caulk if you can. It's my opinion it'll last longer.

WAIT! If it's seams you're talking about, go to the gutter section of home depot/Lowes and there's a special tube formulated just for this thing (seams).

Old 04-09-09, 02:03 PM
R
I hate the idea of maintaining those galvanized gutters, but if you must...

First I wouldn't try to take them down at all. You'll probably do more damage, just paint them in place.

I would use a tremclad rust inhibiting paint. Clean and (maybe) prime the gutters really well before you start. Wildbill7145 on these forums is a painter, he would probably know the best kind of paint to use and the whole process. I'm not sure if he comes by often though.

As tony17112acst said, go to the hardware store and get caulking just for gutters for your seams. I'm not sure if you could find a paintable one. Typically caulking goes on the inside of the gutter, so paintable or not shouldn't really matter.

For the amount of effort you're putting in to this, you could probably just mow a few neighbours lawns and raise the money for some seamless aluminum gutters

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-09-09, 04:02 PM
It's not that we don't have the money to replace them, it's just that we'd rather not...the gutters are still doing *99%* of their job, but when it comes to apearance, they get an "F" for FUGLY! I just thought maybe someone had done something like this before, but maybe I'd be better off going with the seamless aluminum gutters.

Old 04-09-09, 05:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Years ago, I've painted a lot of galvanized gutters. Oil base paint works best. Latex paint/primer has no rust stopping capabilities. While you can paint/patch the inside of the gutter - it will probably be a short term solution. Can't say from here if your gutters are worth painting/fixing but when the time comes - seamless aluminum is the only way to go.

Old 04-10-09, 10:11 AM
W
Yup, I'm with Marksr. Oil based rust inhibiting primer, oil paint. Again, not sure if it's worth the effort. I'm not a gutter guy, so I'd have to defer to someone like Rob_C or Marksr who would know more. Replace em.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: