How can I get an honest estimate for a roof repair job?

Old 04-08-09, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I get an honest estimate for a roof repair job?

I have had several roofers inspect and offer prices to do a few repairs to a flat roof on a small 2 storey terraced house in Kilburn.I now have several wildy different estimates, and would like to know how to go about getting a real estimate.One suggestion I had was to get a surveyor to look at the job, but dont they cost a fortune?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-09, 04:29 AM
You need at least 3 estimates from licensed and insured roofing contractors. Request a copy of contractor license and insurance certificates. Call agencies to make sure contractor license is active and liability and worker's comp insurance are active. Liability insurance protects your property in the event that an event damages your property. Workers comp insures that if someone is injured on your property that it is covered, as homeowner insurance will not cover. Surveyors survey property, they do not repair roofs.

Old 04-08-09, 04:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In addition, if any of the estimates are extremely low or high, throw them out and get another one to blend with the other two. Low estimates aren't always better for you. Remember, the Challenger O ring was furnished by the low bidder.

Old 04-08-09, 06:15 AM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Hi Shane, I feel your pain. If you can post some more details perhaps some of the roofers can point out the issues that might require more work, ie more cost. When there are unknown issues, contractors will bid high to CYA, and they have too. When they are very busy (which shouldn't be now) they will bid high as they don't need more work.

When you say surveyor, you may be thinking of a building inspector, and yes a good one would be a good idea. But often watching and listening to different roofers as they bid the job will give you a lot of information. Your insurance agent, your banker, the BBB, and your code enforcement officer all deal with the inspection/construction industry and may be able to point you to a reputable roofer, one that does quality work at a fair price. They DO exist.

Bud

Old 04-11-09, 03:48 AM
Simple low of statistic. ask more than 10 estimators. find the average of their estimate. But remember remove high value from the calculation.

Old 04-11-09, 10:54 PM
you could also try Service Magic or Angies List.

I know Service magic pre-screens it's contractors and requires minimum of insurance coverage and licensing where applicable. Also companies there include feedback from previous customers, both good and bad.

Old 04-13-09, 02:39 AM
What is the best shingle to use when reproofing a house?

Old 04-13-09, 04:26 AM
Not getting brand specific, I prefer the architectural or profile type shingle as opposed to standard 3 tab. They cost more, are heavier, but seem to give a little longer life and are easier to apply.

Old 04-14-09, 05:27 AM
Can I roof over the top of my existing roof?

Old 04-14-09, 06:16 AM
It is usually better not to, mainly because stripping the roof will reveal any problems you may be having with leaks, etc. But it can be done if only one layer is on the roof. More than that will need to be stripped anyway.

Old 04-16-09, 08:48 AM
With the help of Google search, I find out a company who provide their services in roof repair, roof maintenance ..........................

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-16-09 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Link removed.