What to Use for Flat Roof that will be Used as a Porch?

Old 04-08-09, 11:13 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What to Use for Flat Roof that will be Used as a Porch?

What material can my contactor use to make a flat roof inhabitalbe? We will be grilling, walking and sitting on outdoor furniture out there. It is a covered porch and will have its own roof.

I have a contractor that agreed with me to build a 16x16 2-story porch onto my home for a certain price. The lower porch will be flush with the lower level and completely enclosed, and the upper level will have its own roof which will tie into the roofline (a reverse gable end).

Today we discovered that he thought he was only to be making the upper level porch with just a rubber roof which cannot be walked on a regular basis, let alone have outdoor furniture on it.

He said that he will need to raise the price based on whatever solution he comes up with. I am close to just scrapping the whole project but if I knew of a cheap way to create a water-proof floor on that second level porch, I'd be willing to pay an extra $500.

So is there a way to construct a 2nd floor porch so it's open air (but covered) and won't leak that can be used as outdoor space?

Thank you for any ideas. -Tony17112acst

Here's the drawing and then the photo that gave me the idea.

Old 04-09-09, 12:35 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No replies?

My contractor is suggesting to put treated 2x6's resting right on a rubber roof membrane which will be glued to a Celetex product (very dense styrofoam).

Would the rubber roof be OK with 2x6's resting on it for all those 20-30 years?

-Tony17112acst

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: