Question regarding fascia

Old 04-08-09, 12:27 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question regarding fascia

Hi, I need some input regarding a small area of fascia that has some damage to it. On the east side of our house there is an area where the roof comes to a point. The two fascia boards have some damage where they meet at the point. It extends maybe 4 inches up each board. I have gotten numerous bids from painters and they are all in agreement that it can be repaired. They said that the small amount of rot can be dug out and then the board patched and painted. My question is what is the best product to patch with? Does it also need to be sealed with something? A couple of the painters have mentioned using wood bondo and one has mentioned using caulk. I'm trying to get informed so that I can tell them what I want done. I want something that will not eventually pop out and have to be redone again. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-08-09, 03:39 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,198
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
If it was me, I'd use Bondo. Painters have their favorite material they like to work with, wood fillers are similar if they have a catalyst that speeds up the hardening process (like Minwax's wood filler). Smearing caulk (I affectionately refer to this as "caulk sculpting" ) would work as a temporary fix but you can't paint it until it dries... which is why I'd use the Bondo- it can be sanded in 30 minutes and painted. As long as water isn't getting behind the fascia, it will last quite a while... at least until the next time it needs painting.

It really isn't a big deal- every house has a few areas like this that need to be patched prior to painting.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: