New construction, looking for answers

Old 04-08-09, 02:00 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New construction, looking for answers

We have new construction, metal roof, 7/12 pitch 32 X 50 footprint. Very simple, all downspouts connect to cistern tank. With this pitch and a metal roof, what size gutters and down spouts should have been used. We are in northeast Ohio. I can attach photos later. No aluminum cap was applied over cedar fascia and no flashing was installed and water drips between fascia board and gutter. What is the proper way to fix this? Should there be flashinig going under the metal roof and into the gutter as well as capping the fascia board with aluminum? We have water damage on the porch roof and probably in other places on the soffit. Also when the metal roof was applied, should there not have been some kind of sealant or factory touch up paint applied to any bare metal cuts, there is already rust building up on the edge at end of short panels on porch roof? Allot of questions but we need as much advice as possible as builder now has to fix and we have no confidence in him and want to make sure what is going to be done is done properly. Thank you to any who can assist!

Old 04-09-09, 12:32 AM
R
Pictures, as always would be very helpful, but based on what you described, here are my thoughts:

Your roof wasn't left overhanging your roof enough. You want at least 1/2" of roof overhanging from the edge of the fascia. Since this clealy hasn't been done, you have a few options.

In your case, since you have a beautiful cedar fascia, I would install a steel drip edge, and not worry about capping that cedar. The drip edge is basically an L shaped piece of steel (or metal the same as your roofing material, don't mix steel and aluminum) that slips underneath your current roofing. You or your contractor might have to pull the end row of roof screws to fit this in. This can be screwed in with 1/2" to 3/4" galvanized screws, and it will extend your roof edge that 1/2" from your fascia to get those drops of water to drop cleanly in to your eavestrough instead of clinging to the fascia.

7/12 is a steep pitch, I'm not sure how the snow/ice is in your area, you may want to install ice stops in the future, but you still have a few months until that'll be an issue

A note to everyone I give this to advice over and over: I will be back in my hometown doing eavestrough again by may, I'll get some nice pictures of what proper drip cap like I'm describing looks like.

Old 04-09-09, 12:15 PM
C
New Construction, looking for answers

I will get the image uploaded shortly as soon as I figure that out. Basically what you are stating is flashing, yes (underneath edge of roof and overthe back side of gutter)? Thanks!

Old 04-09-09, 01:42 PM
R
Yes, a piece of flashing is what i'm describing. It sounds like you understand it perfectly. It's just something to extend that roof edge so the water doesn't cling to the fascia.

I like the site PostImage.org for easy image hosting, though I think we both understand eachother without the image in this case

Old 04-09-09, 01:56 PM
C
New Construction, looking for answers

I posted the image

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited by Clydem8n; 04-09-09 at 02:11 PM. Reason: adding photo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: