roll roofing assistance

Old 04-09-09, 10:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roll roofing assistance

I have a small roof on the back of my garage that needs roll roofing. It's pitch is about 2/12 and it presently has 3 - 36" strips that overlap about 2" at each joint. It looks like standard roll roofing and is nailed down at all the sides and along each joint leaving all the nailheads exposed. This roof was put in about 15 years ago and I have owned the house for the last 12 years and it hasn't leaked a bit but now everything is detiorated and leaking. My question is how do you install the new stuff. Roofing supplier has the roll plus gallons of cold process for it. I have seen articles where you only glue the seams and others where it says coat the whole sheet and only nail at the seems overlapping to cover the nail heads. It's amazing that you would not have leaks if you have all these exposed nail heads from nailing the whole sheet like they say. Please advise if anyone has installed this and how they did it. Also the roof buts up to a vertical wood sided wall. how would you install flashing where the roof meets the wall. I was just going to coat a length of lashing with roof cement and nail to the walll and roof once the roll is down. Thanks

Old 04-09-09, 12:55 PM
T
Here's an article on how to:
How to Install Roll Roofing | OnlineTips.org

...and here's a REALLY nice article with illustractions:
Home and Garden | Install Roll Roofing - Do It Yourself

I hope that helps.

-tony17112acst

Old 04-13-09, 09:05 PM
B
rolled roof

I have a rooled roof on my house which will be replaced this summer. I am going to use actual 20 to 25yr shingles that way its done for good now worries. The biggest differance is price but shingles last at least ten years longer. Myself I'd strip it and reshingle with good quality shingles.

Old 04-15-09, 05:58 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
bowtie,

What is your roof pitch? You have to have adequate roof pitch to shingle. It's been years but I thought about 3/12 and up is required before you can shingle.

Some people have roll roofed or maybe icegarded, and then shingled over that, for the looks of it (if that is a real issue).

These days I think rubber roofs are a prefered way to go on shallow and flat roofs

On borderline shallower pitch roofs, if local code allows, you can use corrugated metal roofing successfully also. This used to be a quite economical route to go, if as I said, you were allowed to use that. I used to put on both roll roofs and corrugated roofs, in my distant past.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: