Damaged/dry rotted rafter tails

Old 04-11-09, 08:23 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damaged/dry rotted rafter tails

Hi everyone. New here. I have been working on replacing wood soffit that had no type of ventilation with vinyl vented soffit. I'm thinking since it has been closed off for who knows how long with no air movement the rafter tails have pretty much became dry rotted along with carpenter bees destroying it ever so badly. I need good sound wood to attach to for my soffit/ fascia. Are there any fixes for this? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-09, 12:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the rot only extends a few inches up the rafter tail, I would take a new piece of lumber and simply screw it in to a sound part of the old rafter so it extends out past the old rafter. Then you just have to cut it off to be flush with the rest of the rafters.

I'm not sure how much a building inspector would like this fix, but I've done it on small porches with rotten rafters and it seems to hold the fascia just fine. The important thing is that you're tying back in to sound wood on the old rafter. It won't do any good if the whole thing is rotten.

If you want a proper, permanant, "Mike Holmes" fix, or the whole thing is rotten, I would imagine you'd have to tear open the whole roof and replace full rafters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: