Mobile Home with Roof leaks - HELP!!

Old 04-21-09, 03:34 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Mobile Home with Roof leaks - HELP!!

Ok, so I am at my wits end here. None of the contractors I have interviewed seem to want to answer all my questions - they literally give me the deer in the headlights look & change the subject.

The mobile is 30 years old. Has a composition / shingle roof & we currently have 2 leaks and there have been others in the past. All of the roofers (5) say the pitch on the roof is too low for shingles - but ALL they will quote me is a NEW SHINGLE roof. I ask about other materials and literally get NO answer.
Now - we plan to replace this house in 5-8 years. Am I crazy to think its a bad investment to spend $3000 on a new shingle roof for a house with low pitch that we plan to tear down in less than 10 years??

The other materials I have researched are rolled roofing, that it seems we could do ourselves & now someone mentioned a rubber roof...but it seems $$ and needs pro installation. We just need to get a few more years out of our roof!!

Can anyone help me, give me some ideas, tell me if rolled roofing or rubber are any good? Am I stupid and should replace it with shingles? Help!!

Old 04-21-09, 03:52 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A friends home had a very shallow pitch on one side. They also had an ice problem, not the fault of the rolled roof. I volunteered to remove the ice for them and while doing so found 6" of standing water behind the edge dam. No shimgled roof would have been able to hold that much water back. I was very impressed. If the look is acceptable to you, the rolled roof with plenty of tar will eliminate any leaks.

GL
Bud

Old 04-22-09, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
If the roof is factory, it would be a 3/12 pitch which is enough for shingles.

I'm not a roofer but would think a rolled roof would be cheaper. A metal roof would probably be more expensive.

almost forgot
Welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: