Rolled Roofing...Durable?...durable enough?

Old 04-22-09, 01:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Rolled Roofing...Durable?...durable enough?

So far its looking like we may attempt to do a more comprehensive repair or replace the roof with rolled roofing...Does anyone have 1st hand experience with rolled roofing? I've read that holes can be 'poked' somewhat easily... Nothing is ever on our roof but us, to service the swap cooler.

Old 04-22-09, 01:29 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Never installed it, actually 50 years ago I helped as a kid but that doesn't count , but I have worked on it and found it quite durable.

Bud

Old 04-22-09, 02:53 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
How durable do you want it to be? What "weight' are you considering? What is the pitch of your roof?

Honestly, I consider rolled roofing to be the least expensive initial cost and the most expensive long-term cost roofing you can install. If this is just a shed and you only want it to last a few years then 50 pound rolled roofing may be just the ticket. If it is your home and you want it to last for more than a decade then you probably want something else.

Now maybe you mean "torchdown" instead of rolled roofing. If so then you really should be having a pro install the roof.

Old 04-22-09, 09:08 PM
S
I talked to a few roofers who agree that common rolled roofing is very temporary. They recommend, for the do-it-yourselfer, a two-layer, self-adhering, peel and stick, bitumen product (brand mentioned was Mule Hide). They claim you can get 15 to 20 years if you follow the instructions and don't take shortcuts. Cost is in the range of $150-$175 per 100 sq.ft.

Old 04-23-09, 07:20 AM
S
Cool Rolled roof

Its for a 30 year old mobile that we plan to replace in 5-8 years. The house currently had shingles - but all 5 roofers I interviewed said the pitch is too low for shingles...and of course the only thing they quoted me was a NEW SHINGLE ROOF @ $3k
I looked at Torch down - but it is $$$ & needs pro installation. I just can't see spending that kind of money on a house that just isn't going to live that long.

Pretty much it seems my options - based on $ mostly - are repairs - which the roofers all say is a bad idea (although they are the same people that want to replace my shingles with more shingles on a low pitch roof??)... Or some type of rolled / self installed roofing.

We really just need something to last say 10 years max.

Old 04-23-09, 10:18 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
That's a tough one. If it is a really low pitch or flat roof then rolled roofing isn't a long-term (more than two or three years) solution.

There are some coatings that claim to make a virtually solid covering but they are not inexpensive and I have no idea of their longevity. You might want to investigate the "Mule Hide" that Solitary Soul mentioned.

One thing to remember is that any new roofing will be no better than what is below it. For best performance you need to remove the existing roofing material before adding a new material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: