Okay To Use Ladder On A Roof?

Old 04-23-09, 10:22 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay To Use Ladder On A Roof?

I had to go on my roof today to cut a bunch of tree branches away that are coming from a tree in a neighbors yard. The neighbor said he would help me cut the branches, so I of course accepted the offer.

It comes time for us to get on the roof and he passes a ladder to me. I'm in total confusion at this since somehow using a ladder on a roof seems like a horrible idea. Of course, being the idiot I am, I thought that thought and instead said, "okay, pass it up!"

When we used the ladder, we put down plywood on all the ends since it was a self-standing ladder rather than one you have to lean on something. A little later, we did have to utilize a leaning ladder on the roof and with that, we didn't utilize the plywood.

We pretty much got all the branches cut off the tree we needed to, but some ones still remain that could be a problem in the near future. Also, I still can't help but feel that putting these ladders on the roof was an ill-advised idea. ESPECIALLY that leaning ladder with nothing under it.

Old 04-24-09, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Thumbs up You were right to question this.

This a classic homeowner move that kills many each year!
A step ladder is designed to be safe on flat ground....period.
"Was that leaning ladder with nothing under it" standing on the roof propped against the tree?
If so this too is a dangerous no-no.

If you were a worker for a company where I am the fines for getting caught doing what you did would be horrendous.

Old 04-24-09, 05:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
I don't know what OSHA's stand is on it but often the only way to paint certain houses is to use a ladder on the roof. It is very important to be safe about it. That may mean having someone to hold the ladder or tieing it off. You must take every precaution to make the ladder stable and make sure you don't over reach. Care should also be taken so you don't damage the roof.

How did you set up a step ladder on the roof??? is it a flat roof? Step ladders should always be set on a level or near level surface.

Tree branches are a lot heavier than most anything else you would work with on a ladder. I doubt it's ever a good idea to use a chainsaw when on a ladder - especially on a roof. You probably should have a bucket truck to trim the higher branches.

Old 04-24-09, 09:20 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GregH
This a classic homeowner move that kills many each year!
A step ladder is designed to be safe on flat ground....period.
"Was that leaning ladder with nothing under it" standing on the roof propped against the tree?
If so this too is a dangerous no-no.
Unfortunately, yes.
Originally Posted by marksr

How did you set up a step ladder on the roof??? is it a flat roof? Step ladders should always be set on a level or near level surface.

Tree branches are a lot heavier than most anything else you would work with on a ladder. I doubt it's ever a good idea to use a chainsaw when on a ladder - especially on a roof. You probably should have a bucket truck to trim the higher branches.
I was able to set the step ladder up on the roof because it was pretty much level in the area we needed to cut.

On the chainsaw part, I can happily say I used my mind there. I didn't even use one until I was back on the ground carting all the branches away. To much random things could happen while we were cutting branches, even with a hand saw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: