Roofing question

Old 04-27-09, 05:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing question

I have a couple questions , I will be doing my garage roof in a couple weeks. I will be doing the tear off and papering and a contractor will be installing the shingles for me for a few hundred dollars. Anyways here are my questions
1) the roof has no penetrations and each gable side is 22'2" x11'. Need to know how many squares of shingles I need taking into account waste and the ridge. Will be using standard three tab shingles for ridge.

2) If I paper the entire roof myself and it is a few days before the contractor gets there, will the tar paper effectively keep the water out if it rains in the meantime. My fear is if I finish the paper and it rains for a day before the contractor gets there will it cause any damage. Thanks

Old 04-27-09, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
If you round up the size of the roof to 24' x 12', you would have 3 sq per side, for a total of 6 sq. The ridge would be another 1/3 sq.

So 6 1/3 sq would hit it pretty exactly... or you could get 7 sq if you wanted to play it safe and keep an extra bundle or two on hand.

For the felt paper, the potential problem would be that you would not get the felt paper laid tight and flat, and that the wrinkles would prevent the shingles from laying flat.

Rain should not be a problem unless you get high wind that might rip the paper off. Cap nails along the bottom of each row every 12" and down the middle every 24" is usually sufficient to prevent that from happening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: