Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Best way to replace a couple of blown off composition shingles?

Best way to replace a couple of blown off composition shingles?

Old 05-02-09, 03:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to replace a couple of blown off composition shingles?

Hello:
we had some wind storms and 1-2 of the roof composition shingles were blown away.
Is there a book/website/video that shows how to do it yourself?
I have a 2-story house and a 44foot ladder. The missing shingles are next to each other in the lower third of the roof.
Question: how difficult would it be to do the repair myself?

How do I find a competent roofer to replace those shingles for a fair price? How much should that cost (I do have couple pallets of extra roof shingles)? I assume a roofer would need less than 1/2 hour to take out some surrounding shingles (I guess that's how they do it) and then nail in couple new ones and maybe do some caulking at the end. Am I missing anything?

Old 05-04-09, 07:40 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there are only 2 shingles, I would patch it with some roofing tar instead. The problem is that when you try to replace shingles, it's hard to slip them under the existing shingles without breaking them & they blow off the roof again, if you can't get them in the correct position.

A roofer won't want the job but look for something called leak stoppers if you can't reach it yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: