roofing question

Old 05-07-09, 10:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roofing question

I will be doing the garage roof shortly. I will be doing the tear off and putting the felt paper down and then a roofing contractor will be laying the new shingles down. Couple questions

1) when putting the felt paper down you go over the top of the drip edge at the eave, but do you normally go over or under the rake edge strip. I have seen articles on doing both ways but which is more common.
2) I was planning on stapling the felt down with a staple gun and 1/4" staples but have also seen articles mention the use of nails with the 1" plastic washer on them. so which is better. To me if you will be nailing all those shingles down why would you want to add more nails for the felt. Thanks

Old 05-07-09, 02:45 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Felt paper typically goes down the roof and over the drip edge. The only time the drip edge is nailed over the underlayment is when ice and water shield is run over the eave and down the fascia, as is commonly done by many roofers. Even then, the IWS can go over the drip edge. No two roofers do things exactly the same way, hence the confusion you're experiencing.

I use staples when I put felt paper down. Felt just needs to be held down so it can be walked on and so it won't blow away before the shingles are laid down.

Old 05-07-09, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
jcraft...a hammer stapler is a great tool for this. Depending on the size of the roof, you could have a LOT of staples to put in. Also, may need larger than 1/4" depending on the felt weight and wind condition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: