Tieing new addition roof to mobile home roof

Old 05-07-09, 12:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tieing new addition roof to mobile home roof

Yes I have a 2001 mobile home 16 x 70 with a 3x12 pitch shingles roof and I built a 12x24 back porch with step down on the back. I am turning the back porch into two room and need to add a roof. I plan on going from mid roof on house to end of new rooms. Will I need to stip back old shingles and add roofing felt under existing felt or what would be the best way to roof? And something else I would like to ask if ya, think that adding the new roof to the middle of my existing roof would be ok. You know would the trailer house hold up over the years or would it be best to add the new roof over the edge of the walls of the house. Thank You

Old 05-07-09, 01:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not a roofer but I've built several MH additions. You want the majority of the roof weight to be supported by the addition. I've not seen the roof framing on the newer 3/12 pitch MHs but on the older almost flat roofs, the truss's were usually made out of 1x2s.

How do you plan to construct the roof? will it be a shed type roof? [no gable] If so what will the pitch be? you may need to back up to the peak to get enough slope for shingles.

Hopefully one of the roofers can give you more/better info later.

Old 05-07-09, 02:55 PM
B
I think my roof truss is 2x6 because my paperwork said I have 6 1/2" of inslation in the ceiling. I know my walls are 2x4 for shore. When I built my back porch which is a sreen in room I put a tin roof with a 1 x 12 pitch which leak every time it rain hard. I didnt attach it to the house. I built a good foundation and a good floor. I put 4x4 post on the side closes to the house and build walls on all the others. The roof rest on a 4x6 beam closes to the house with 2x6 raffer. I was going to leave all of that and turn the old raffer into ceiling joist and build the new roof over that out of 2x6 and 1x12 decking. But most of the weight of the new roof will be resting on the beam, Im am also building new walls under the beam to close the area from under the house and into the room. Im plan on taking my back door off and framing my new wall and my house wall together which will be about a foot thick. But when I attach the roof to the old roof im not sure how the shingle should be attach. And the new roof is a shed type and will also be a 3 x 12 pitch also.

Old 05-07-09, 07:12 PM
G
Only your Building Department will know for sure.

You had a porch, now it will be two rooms. You need: a foundation, walls (structural), electrical, light and ventilation, plans, etc. Please get a permit, for your family's safety.

The roof design and specs. will be on your approved plans. Be safe, G

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: