Remove roof for 2nd story

Old 05-12-09, 12:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove roof for 2nd story

My house is a rectangle with a gable roof. About 36' wide X 28' deep. I want to remove the front half of the roof entirely, rafters and all. I want to build a second story over the front half of the house.

There is only one load bearing wall in the house. It runs all the way across the 36' width (down the middle of the house). The apex of the roof is directly above the load wall. Both sides of the roof rest on top of it.

If I remove the entire front half of the roof, will the back half collapse? My guess is that I will need to create vertical supports for every rafter and run them straight down to the load bearing wall -- creating a new triangle.

Problem is, once the vertical supports are in place, they will be in the way when I try to build the second story wall.

Anyone ever seen something like this done before?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-09, 05:46 PM
G
I'll give you a different answer on this different forum. You will need it designed, to give to a Structural Engineer. A beam will be required for the second floor/ back roof load. Complete with correctly sized footings and posts. They won't be in the way, as you floor out to the roof, square, sheath and stand your new walls butt to the roof, probably lagging roof ledger to wall studs. You build the back roof repair to specs. for proper support/speading. As I said elsewhere, please get a permit. Be safe, G

Old 05-13-09, 07:43 AM
S
Thanks GBR in WA

I will be consulting an engineer, getting permits and hiring a work crew for the tough stuff.

I am just trying to figure it all out in my head. I wasn't even sure if it was possible to remove only part of a roof. My first thought was that the ENTIRE roof would have to be removed and then rebuilt. That, of course, would be twice the labor.

I don't like to appear ignorant in front of strangers. I thought it would be best to try and have a "clue" before consulting and engineer and hiring a work crew.