How steep is too steep?

Old 05-17-09, 12:46 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How steep is too steep?

We need to redo the roof on our house, and we're planning on doing it ourselves and with some friends ( one of whom is a construction worker, though not a roofer).
My question is how steep is too steep for a DIY roof to be attempted safely?

The roof is approx 8.5/12, which is less then the roof of the house I grew up in which I used to play on as a kid, but still pretty steep. I don't want to get any of my friends hurt, so I'm just looking for some opinions or experience with similar roofs.

The roof is a normal 3 tab shingle roof. Currently a couple layers on it, we're tearing it all off.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-09, 01:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
It's a matter of opinion - my old man fell off his 6/12 pitch roof a few years ago and busted a bunch of bones. I have climbed up the 12/12 roof at the lake many times myself but get pretty nervous each time.

Old 05-23-09, 07:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I agree with Mitch. It is in the eye of the beholder. I am a remodeling contractor, but I don't do roofs. Too old, too experienced. I got up on my 4/12 the other day to examine hail damage. Not a problem, until you get to the edge. No matter what the pitch, the edge is vertical.
Be safe, and wear harnesses. I know, it takes away from the manliness of the event, but so does broken bones. You don't have to tell anyone you used them.

Old 05-23-09, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Here, commercial safety requirements are that any worker above eight feet in height from the ground requires a harness and it is being enforced vigorously.
There are no requirements as far as I know about a homeowner having to follow this rule but there has been some talk about the homeowner's liability insurance not covering a "friend" helper that falls and kills them self, or worse becomes permanently disabled.

You would do well to pass this by your insurance company as they may require safety equipment for you to be covered.

Old 05-23-09, 12:56 PM
G
No if's about it. You are liable! The Homeowners policy will not cover this.

This is why we have licenced, bonded, and insured contractors, so you can continue to live in your house, drive your car, and keep your money (some of it).

Of all the trades in construction, roofers pay the very most per man hour.

Almost the same as hiring an un-licensed "contractor" to do work for you, he could have, or fake an accident, and end up owning your house. Be safe, G

Old 06-23-09, 07:36 PM
G
Thanks for the replies guys.
We ended up filing an insurance claim since there were dozens of shingles ripped off the roof in a wind storm.
They are putting a new roof on for us in a couple weeks.

One less project for me!

Old 06-24-09, 05:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Good for you!! I did the same thing and was surprised at the quick response of the insurance company and the settlement as well. New roof looks great, and I don't worry in rain storms anymore. Glad you got it under control without having to perform acrobatics.