water dripping between gutter and garage

Old 05-18-09, 10:38 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question water dripping between gutter and garage

We have metal gutters on our detached garage. Whenever it rains hard, the water overflows the gutter and then drips between the gutter and garage roof onto the ground. I've check and made sure there are no obstructions for the water flow the whole way from the gutter to the ground.
What can be done to stop the water from running between the metal (gutter) and wood (garage)? They're approximately 40 years old.

Old 05-18-09, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
If its overflowing the gutter, then you either need larger gutter and/or more/larger downspouts. Theres not really anything you can add on that will help with the issue.

Are the gutters sloped properly? How long a section are we talking about, and how many downspouts do you have? What is the width of the gutter top opening (4", 5") and what size are the downspouts (3x4, 4x5, etc). This will help the roofing and gutter guys give you possible fixes.

Old 05-18-09, 07:46 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much overhang do your shingles have from the end of your roof? More often than not short shingles are the reason for leaks between the gutter and the house.

Have you checked during a heavy rainfall and actually seen a totally full gutter? I would think it would pour out like crazy if it was not draining properly like you described.

I've also seen a tennis ball stuck in the downspout cause this problem. If you can, do a little troubleshooting and remove your downspouts entirely the next time it's going to rain to determine if the problem is a clogged downspout, or just not enough drainage.

My first step would be to check the shingles for overhang though. If you see a spot with less than 1/2" of overhang, run a hose up on your roof and see if you can recreate the problem

Assuming your shingles are fine and your downspouts aren't clogged, and the gutters are simply overflowing like you said, the solution would be to add more/bigger downspouts.

Good luck, post back and let us know how it goes

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: