Rolled roofing material - good for my shed?

Old 05-29-09, 04:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rolled roofing material - good for my shed?

Hi - I've done some DIY roofing before so when it came time to plan my lean-to shed, I planned on doing what I've done before - 1/2" plywood, felt, drip strip & asphalt shingles. But a friend has some left-over rolled roofing material that is 4' wide and wondering if that would be applicable.

The structure I'm building is a lean-to shed that will be on the non-weather side of an existing shed. The footprint of the shed is 4' x 12' and will be used for lawn & gardening equipment. I'm planning on a 3/12 roof with something less than a 1' overhang. So is this material suitable for what I'm doing? I'm not familiar with it, it seems to be a bit thinner than an asphalt shingle, but not much (and certainly thicker than felt).

If this would work, how is it installed? How much overlap? Would you use roofing nails and some sort of adhesive? Would I also need felt?

Thanks for any replies!

Bob

PS - Bonus question: what is the degree of slope for a 3/12 roof so I can set my chop sawa to that angle?

Old 05-30-09, 05:39 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Angle

Use 14 degrees. The rolled roofing is fastened with roofing nails.

Old 06-20-09, 08:03 AM
Rolled roofing is not a sloped roof product. Look at the wrapper. it is intended for use in a low slope built up roofing application using multiple layers of roofing, base sheet, mid ply, cap sheet, set in either hot asphalt or cold proces emulsion. INstalling rolled roofing in a shingle manner never lasts long.

If you have the slope (3/12 is the lowest you'd want to install shingles), do it right and tell your buddy to return those rolls to home cheapo and get his $15 back.

Old 06-20-09, 12:23 PM
G
Here is a good article, back up and read the whole chapter:

Repairing and Extending Weather Barriers - Google Books

Sounds perfect for your application and check with your local Building Department for questions about easements. Be safe, G

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: