advice on temp rainproofing

Old 05-31-09, 09:40 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
advice on temp rainproofing

Hi All
I am new here and glad to have found you. My roof is in SE GA on the marsh. Summer's coming along with hurricane season. The sun is intense and really hard on structures. The roof shingles have curling edges and is quite brittle. I have 3 small leaks which seem to be at flashing on vents. I am very worried though about the upcoming season. Plans are already in place for late fall to do major work on the roof, raising it and putting on a metal roof.
For now I need an inexpensive solution to protect my ceilings for several months. I have had suggestions as to tarping and also to cover with tyvek, both of which would be held down with firring strips screwed to the roof, slathering tar on all the flashings.
My concern about tarping is the possible build up os condensation.
Advice is welcome, please.
Jackie

Old 06-01-09, 03:05 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
You say the sun is intense. Therefore whatever you use must be UV (Sun) tolerant. Not get broken down by the sun. Most tarps unless extra thick will not last several months. Neither will plastic. Especially in hurricane season. Anything you do will be just a temporary fix, short of a new roof.
I see you plan on major work in the fall but unless you fix the roof correctly now, you may have ruined ceiling and other water damage before then. Pick the least costly replacement roof for now, be it roll roofing, rubber, or tin. As you know the alternative could be costly. Temporary patches are just that, temporary! Meant to last a few weeks, not months.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: