Quick felt/drip edge questions

Old 06-01-09, 01:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quick felt/drip edge questions

Hi - I want to make sure I do this right, though perfection isn't critical as this roof is on a shed.

First question - is the order, I imagine I do the drop edge first and then cover with the felt paper, right? Or should it be reversed? And if reversed, should I run the felt edge to edge?

Also for the drip edge, how should I attach it? I the plywood roof is 1/2" and I have longer roofing nails, probably 3/4". Should I buy something smaller?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 06-01-09, 02:43 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Yes the drip edge first. The felt should stop 1/4 inch short from the edge of the roof, covering all but 1/4 inch of the drip edge.
All roofing nails should penetrate the roof sheathing. 3/4 inch is fine for both drip edge and shingles, since you have 1/2 inch sheathing. Unless you are using extra thick arcitechture shingles then get 1 inch nails. I like to see 1/4 inch of nail showing through the sheathing on the underside. Especially with OSB sheathing. It helps with keeping the shingles down in a windstorm. Longer will not hurt anything just don't go overboard (like 2 inch nails).
If you want try this test. Take a 1/2 inch nail and a plastic zip tie, nail the zip tie down with enough on either side to get a grip on it, drive the nail fully in and do the same with a 3/4 inch nail in 1/2 inch sheathing. Pull on the zip tie to pull the nail. You will see it is pretty easy to pull the 1/2 inch nail but not as easy with the 3/4 inch nail.

Old 06-01-09, 08:16 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: