Shingles over EPDM?

Old 06-03-09, 01:07 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shingles over EPDM?

I have a difficult valley to flash. It has two valleys flowing into one wide valley forming a Y shape. The bottom valley slopes 1 1/2" over six feet. It tapers from 13" at the top to 8" where it reaches the eve. I managed to get a layer of Protecto-Wrap in the bottom and up all three slopes with only two small 1/2" folds where the membrane starts up the top slope. I need to flash this bottom valley and am unsure what is the best way to proceed. Soldering copper I know would be a great way but is too expensive, so I don't see metal as an option. Can I adhere EPDM over the snow and water shield and up the OSB sheathing and then patch the slice I need to cut to make it lay flat? I was also wondering if I could adhere it to the two top valleys and then asphalt shingle over it? The wide bottom valley would be an open valley with the shingles stopping two inches above the valley bottom. I realize that EPDM will not seal against nails holes but neither will aluminum. Any other suggestions or info would be appreciated.

Old 06-20-09, 08:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pictures would definetly help alot in answering this question.

Modified bitumen may be more appropriate than epdm since modified bitumen is more chemically similiar to the shingles and will be less likley of having a chemical reaction with the epdm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: