Is the leak from the Roof or from the AC?

Old 06-04-09, 06:30 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is the leak from the Roof or from the AC?

We have been having lots of rain around here. I have not used my AC this year yet.

My AC unit is in my attic. I have a “shutter/window” (not sure what to call it) for my AC filter. I have water dripping from this “filter window” – the water is brown and I think it smells (bad). The attic is very low (and dark) but I tried to look around the unit with the flash light and could not find any water. I see no other leak around the house. I know this may sound like a silly question but not sure who to call first - the AC guys for the roof guys. Any ideas?

Here is a picture of the "filter Window" - where the leak is:
Filter Window picture by sbglobe - Photobucket

Old 06-04-09, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
My first thought when you say brown water... and smells... would be, How long has it been since the air conditioner condenstation coils and pan have been cleaned? At first I was thinking plugged condensation tubes or plugged weep holes in a window unit.

But you say the A/C has not run yet this year... and it looks like it must be totally enclosed inside the attic, not a window unit... and not a roof mounted unit? Or is it roof mounted? Are there any roof penetrations that lead to the A/C unit? If not, then the leak probably has nothing to do with the A/C...

Either way, I'd call a roofer first since you mentioned the A/C has not been used and the water wouldn't be coming from the A/C condensate. A roof penetration maybe, if there is one.

Old 06-05-09, 06:45 AM
S
Thanks xsleeper - you are right the whole unit is inside. The roofer is in his way right now. I hope the smell and the color is becasue the water (somehow) is coming through the AC' "duck work". I will update this post once I know what is going on. Thanks Again

Old 06-08-09, 08:10 AM
S
It was the roof of course!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: