A quality job...

Old 06-05-09, 09:22 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A quality job...

I just had a new roof installed on my home and it looks like crap. Is there anyway for me to verify that the job was done correctly? I feel as though I may have been ripped off... Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

Old 06-05-09, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Could you post a few pictures of the problem areas on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post. That way we can see what you see. Was this the lowest bidder?

Old 06-06-09, 10:05 AM
M
contract?

Did you have a contract? Was the job outlined on paper before they started? What kind of roof was it?Asphalt, steel?
Did they have to replace the sheathing and facia?

Old 06-06-09, 05:11 PM
L
Re:

Originally Posted by chandler
Welcome to the forums! Could you post a few pictures of the problem areas on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post. That way we can see what you see. Was this the lowest bidder?
Hello Chandler and thank you! Yes, this contractor was the lowest bidder. Here are a few pictures that I took this evening before the camera died on me.

Yfrog - donnasphotos135.jpg

Yfrog - donnasphotos138.jpg

Yfrog - donnasphotos136.jpg

Yfrog - donnasphotos140.jpg

Old 06-07-09, 08:58 AM
Now, more questions. Mike37 asked the most important one. Was there a contract and in that contract was there performance stipulations.
It looks to me to be a "roof over", leaving the original shingles in place. There is too much overhang on the first photo fascia. The shingles will break. A professional roofer will chime in here soon, but I don't like the cut valleys, preferring the complete overlap from both planes.
I just had mine re-roofed after storm damage, and they stipulated complete tear off, dump fees, product delivery to site, new underlayment, new ridge vents, and new chimney and offset flashing. All of which was done.
Based on what I see on your job, it is less than 100%.

Old 06-07-09, 10:51 AM
L
Re:

Originally Posted by chandler
Now, more questions. Mike37 asked the most important one. Was there a contract and in that contract was there performance stipulations.
It looks to me to be a "roof over", leaving the original shingles in place. There is too much overhang on the first photo fascia. The shingles will break. A professional roofer will chime in here soon, but I don't like the cut valleys, preferring the complete overlap from both planes.
I just had mine re-roofed after storm damage, and they stipulated complete tear off, dump fees, product delivery to site, new underlayment, new ridge vents, and new chimney and offset flashing. All of which was done.
Based on what I see on your job, it is less than 100%.
The contractor provided me with a paper that specified the following:

1. Remove & Replace shingles on house (20 sq)
2. Re-felt as needed
3. Haul away debri
4. Replace pipe flashing
5. Remove & Replace ridge vent ( i think they used my old ridge vent by the way...)
6. Dump fee
7. Permit fee

* 1/2 payment up front and 1/2 at job completion.

And finally a simple legal statement at the bottom saying that I accepted those conditions/specifications above.

As far as the "roof over" thing... They started scraping my roof at nearly 6am for 3 days, but I could not confirm the entire roof was removed as I was at work while they were working. Also, I have many broken bushes, shingles, roof tacks/nails surrounding my house to indicate they scraped the roof.

Last edited by luckiime; 06-07-09 at 10:52 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 06-07-09, 12:40 PM
L
Re:

I've created a new photo album with many pictures of my roof.

Roof pictures by luckii_meBucket - Photobucket

Old 06-07-09, 02:43 PM
Received 60 Upvotes on 54 Posts
It is not a stellar job, but probably adequate. Most of the shabby look is from the shingles bieng too far past the edge of the roof. This could be trimmed to look better.
Your bid or paperwork did not include a new ridge vent only to remove the old one, re-roof, and reinstall the old one. That is the way I read it anyway.
Now, myself I would have put new drip edge on all the way around the roof, not just at the bottom edge. Meaning I would have put it up the gables also. I would have put some flashing on the wood in picture 40. Then painted it white on the wood. I would have cut at least 3/4 inch space between siding and shingles in pictures 13, 38 and 39. Also I would have placed J-channel along this cut edge covering the cut edge og the siding. I would have trimmed the shingles at about 3/8 inch past the drip edge that I would have installed all the way around the roof.
You did not say to do any of this extra work. Nor is there any mention of more drip edge or J-channel for the siding. At least by the paperwork you state. So if you want that done you would pay extra for it. That is the way I read the paperwork.
The least they could do for you would be to trim the shingles closer to the roof to improve the looks. But it might be hard to get someone there to do such a thing.
I do not know how long ago they did the roof but the shingles will lie down better with lots of sunshine on them for a week or so. But the ones hanging over the edge too far will look even worse then too. Can you trim them back? Or get them to come do it?

Old 06-09-09, 04:49 AM
L
Re:

Originally Posted by badeyeben
It is not a stellar job, but probably adequate. Most of the shabby look is from the shingles bieng too far past the edge of the roof. This could be trimmed to look better.
Your bid or paperwork did not include a new ridge vent only to remove the old one, re-roof, and reinstall the old one. That is the way I read it anyway.
Now, myself I would have put new drip edge on all the way around the roof, not just at the bottom edge. Meaning I would have put it up the gables also. I would have put some flashing on the wood in picture 40. Then painted it white on the wood. I would have cut at least 3/4 inch space between siding and shingles in pictures 13, 38 and 39. Also I would have placed J-channel along this cut edge covering the cut edge og the siding. I would have trimmed the shingles at about 3/8 inch past the drip edge that I would have installed all the way around the roof.
You did not say to do any of this extra work. Nor is there any mention of more drip edge or J-channel for the siding. At least by the paperwork you state. So if you want that done you would pay extra for it. That is the way I read the paperwork.
The least they could do for you would be to trim the shingles closer to the roof to improve the looks. But it might be hard to get someone there to do such a thing.
I do not know how long ago they did the roof but the shingles will lie down better with lots of sunshine on them for a week or so. But the ones hanging over the edge too far will look even worse then too. Can you trim them back? Or get them to come do it?
I will most likely trim them back myself. Obvisously if I want the job done correctly from now on then I should probably do it myself. Will a standard razorblade knife work?

Also, thank you for taking the time to look at my pictures and explain what you would have done. Learned alot

Last edited by luckiime; 06-09-09 at 04:51 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 06-10-09, 02:53 PM
It is a blatantly amateur job. Look at the shingle spacing on pix 22 and 23. They are spaced so badly the run is angled. The edges are too long and will break off. Not too sure what type boot was applied to the black pipe. I see the collar but no waterproof boot. Make sure the ridge vents are new as stipulated in the contract.

Old 06-10-09, 05:13 PM
Received 60 Upvotes on 54 Posts
Yes a plain razor knife will work. Have a few extra blades as they will dull and tear instead of cut after a while.
Yes it is hard to find good workers now-a-day. Try to get references and visit them to see the job next time.

Old 06-14-09, 11:05 AM
L
Re:

I had another roofing contractor stop by to check out my roof last week and he said everything looked okay to him.

I guess this is a perfect example of...

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF.

Thank you Chandler and Badeyeben for taking the time out of your day to help me understand roofing a little better. When the time comes for me to get a new roof again I will certainly be prepared to deal with the contractor so that he and his crew do the best job possible.

Old 06-14-09, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Well...it may be adequate as was stated..but it wasn't a quality job. After a hurricane hit us back in VA there were lots of companys with TX and OK plates on their trucks doing work, mostly Latino/Hispanic workers. My neighbor (PT RE agent and wannabe carpenter) hired one..but they actually did a great job, ice and water shield where needed (orig roof didn't have it) tarps to catch ripoff, every day after work they used the magnet sweepers to collect nails, drip edge (none originally)...overall excellent job.

Other neighbor (major electrical contractor and DIY guy) went with a local company recommended to him. No drip edge, exposed areas of shield, no flashing at chimney or skylights. Had a leak around chimney and I was home when worker arrived, asked if he could borrow MY ladder to get on the roof...then he pulled a giant tube of roofing cement out of his truck. I told him he needed to wait and called the neighbor. He was home in 5 min and told the guy to leave.

Anyway..I guess my point is...you need to check references and past jobs...you need things spelled out in the contract...you need to be vigilent and voice concerns immediately. Terrible thing when people have no pride in their work isn't it?

Hey..here's a similar issue..but I think he's worse off than you...http://forum.doityourself.com/roofin...ofing-job.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: