what should i do with my gutters???

Old 06-08-09, 01:52 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what should i do with my gutters???

Beer 4U2

My gutters are aluminum and only about 4 years old. I live in a wooded area. No pine trees, but lot's of the messy "helicopter" producing trees (I wish I knew the real name of this tree).

Anyway, I have a 2 story home with gutters on the 1st and 2nd story. The gutters on the corners of the home keep getting clogged. I have a gutter cleaning company that already comes 4 times per year; and they still get clogged. The gutter cleaning company would love to come 6 to 8 times a year (at a cost of $130 a shot!). But I noticed that my gutters are showing the wear of the already frequent cleanings these guys do and there ladders.

So, 2 questions -

1. Are you guys aware of any gutter guards I can use?
2. Should I just install new gutters with built in debris blockers?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-09, 04:37 PM
R
Man, I'd love to be that gutter cleaning company. Hell, I'll do it for $120!

I don't want to sound like an ad, so I'll try to keep it brief. I've been installing screen from Alu-Rex for a few years, and it seems to work awesome. Very easy for anyone to install. I trust it enough to put it on my mother's and my girlfriend's houses. I've never had any problems with it in the 200 or so times I've put it up.

I'm not sure if it's available outside of Canada, you might have to do some searching around, maybe you can find something comparable in your area.

One suggestion I would make when choosing screen would be to go for something perforated, not a woven mesh. For example:

Perforated (yes):

woven mesh (no):

Old 06-08-09, 07:59 PM
G
Thanks Rob.

I guess you are saying that installing screens (non mesh) is the direction I should go in? It's funny because I have called a couple of gutter companies in the past and they all say screens are a waste. The company that comes to clean my gutters now says they will not clean them with the gaurds installed....what do you think about that? I guess the gutter companies are anti-screen here in NJ.

Old 06-09-09, 04:29 PM
R
I don't see how installing new gutters with built-in screen would be any different than retrofitting what you already have.

I also can't understand why your local companies would be against installing any kind of guards. Maybe they haven't worked with the right product. The company I work for has a guy working full time doing nothing but installing the stuff, and there's another guy who buys the screen from us and installs in Michigan.

And you wouldn't need the cleaning company to come back if you had good screen installed

I would take the advice of your local companies though, if their products aren't worth the time, then don't even bother trying to make it work, I imagine if they're turning down business it's for a reason.

If you ever take a trip to northern michigan let me know and I'll set you up. Best of luck to you, I hope you find something that works for you

Old 06-20-09, 07:25 AM
We are about to start an exterior painting project. My husband wants to remove the gutters completely and not replace them. He says the gutters dates the house, and wants them off.

I am concerned that if we do that, then we may have trouble with water getting in under the roof shingles..........

Any suggestions.........By the way, I am a newbie. I'm guessing I should have started a new thread, but I wasn't sure how to do that. Sorry.

Old 06-24-09, 06:03 PM
R
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If your summers get pretty hot, (I'm in Dallas) don't get the plastic guards; mine got so soft last summer they all drooped into the gutter and were useless. I guess you get what you pay for; they were fairly cheap at Home Depot.

Old 06-24-09, 11:30 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Screens vs. mesh

Originally Posted by gianni View Post
Thanks Rob.

I guess you are saying that installing screens (non mesh) is the direction I should go in? It's funny because I have called a couple of gutter companies in the past and they all say screens are a waste. The company that comes to clean my gutters now says they will not clean them with the gaurds installed....what do you think about that? I guess the gutter companies are anti-screen here in NJ.
A lot of people confuse screens with mesh. Screens you buy in the store and are either plastic or usually aluminum. Some are galvanized extruded steel that act like cheese graters, rust and blow off in moderate winds.
Some contractors will give you a low quote with screens. This is attractive to most people's budgets, but it comes with a cost. If you've ever had water damage in your house, you'd know what i mean!!! I won't clean gutters out if they have home cheapo guards on them unless I remove them completely. There is always 2-3 inches of mud in them and i end up using a pressure washer to clean the gutters after taking the guards off.
I stay away from hooded systems and solid covers also. They tend to be bird and bee condominiums. They do need maintenance unlike a lot of false claims and in the winter, cover right over with ice rendering the gutters useless. I have had many cries for help where helmets were put on and evaporating water trapped in the gutter made the wood rot faster. The gutters eventually fell off their houses. Most people do ok with them, but they just don't look right in a residential setting either in my opinion.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 06-07-11 at 04:00 AM.