roof shingles

Old 06-11-09, 09:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roof shingles

i have to reroof my house due to wind and hail damage...

i have a typical 3-tab shingle (probably a 25 year)...not an architectual or dimensional shingle...

i have some roofers who gave me estimates, but they all have a different idea of which brand shingle to put on...

could anyone give me their opinion on the following brands of shingle...

GAF, Owens Corning, or Certainteed

which one is best, which one should i stay away from, or are they all comparable???

thanks...michael

Old 06-11-09, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Just an opinion...but they are all pretty much the same as long as you compare apples to apples. The roofers may do most of their business at a supplier who sells a certain brand..so that may be why they prefer them.

Kinda like a Chevy, Dodge, Ford thing here...everyone has a favorite, and for whatever reason may hate one of the others.

Old 06-20-09, 08:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am certified by Certainteed. GAF is do it yourself grade and has really reduced the ammount of asphalt in their product since in 2008 there was a shortage. Owens corning is production builder grade shingles. OC is probably the cheapest on the list and gaf probably the most expensive, although prices vary by region.

I've installed all 3 and if forced by the customer would not have a problem installing either, although I do prefer certainteed. Every roofer has a prefrence. There are some real garbage shingles on the market, none of these are garbage.

You can take the worlds greastest shingle and if not properly installed with proper underlayments, flashings and ventilation, the type of shingle is meaningless. What's more important than the shingle is the roofer who's installing them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: