Painting Black Corregated Drain Pipe???

Old 06-15-09, 07:41 AM
D
doc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Black Corregated Drain Pipe???

I just attached some of the black corregated drain pipe to my downspouts. This works like a dream to move the water away from the house, but it looks ugly as sin.

I've tried spray painting it, but in a short time the paint starts to come off - looking even uglier. Is there a trick to getting spray paint to stick to this stuff? Help me get my wife off my back on this!!!!

Old 06-15-09, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You might try the paint specifically for plastic. I used it on some plastic fan covers and it worked great. Limited colors though. And how it would work on the poly pipe..I really don't know.

Old 06-15-09, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
Ya, I'd either go with the spray cans for plastic [krylon?] or add emulsa bond to latex house paint. I suppose burying the pipe with an outlet further down isn't an option?

Old 06-16-09, 05:43 AM
D
doc
I've buried most of the pipe with a pop-up emitter at the end. What I'm trying to paint is the foot or so between the downspout and the ground.

I think the spray I tried the first time is the Krylon for plastics, but I'll check. If it was, I'll try the emulsa bond - I have some of the exterior trim paint from the construction that closely matches the gutter color.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-09, 02:08 PM
Received 60 Upvotes on 54 Posts
Did you wipe the pipe off real well with TSP or paint thinner before you painted it? It has to be cleaned of the oil before the paint will stick.
May have to use a good primer first also.

Old 06-20-09, 05:04 AM
D
doc
Ahh - cleaning off the pipe first. I should have thought of that. Makes perfect sense. I'll try that - thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: