Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

will a gravel border assist in preventing a leaky basement?

Old 06-19-09, 07:16 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

our basement is approaching 5 years old. my ol' lady was told by someone that around this time it'll most likely start leaking and to put a 3-4 border of gravel around the outside to wisk away the rain water

Before I go out and spend the time/money on this project I would like to get some feedback on whether this is a good preventative measure

Also I heard that water rises up from the ground in the mornings, while the gravel wouldn't assist in that matter, is there anything that might help (if that's indeed true)

TIA,

-MC

Old 06-20-09, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quite honestly if you don't have gutters directing and controlling the water it'll be hard to get the water away from your foundation. Wow you're expecting the basement to leak in 5 years, that's some cheap construction.

Depending on the grade of the land around your home there may be nothing you can do to get the water way short of under ground drains and or dry wells.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: