Straightening Aluminum Coil

Old 07-22-09, 09:13 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Straightening Aluminum Coil

Hello,

I need to replace some gutter flashing on my mother-in-law's house. What's there is too short, and water flowing down the roof valley overwhelms it during a heavy rain.

I was looking for a piece of white flashing that I could bend for the inside corner on the gutter, but wasn't able to find it. I ended up with a 10"x10' roll of white aluminum coil, which I want to form into the flashing I need for that corner (and elsewhere). I'm able to score and break it easily, and I am even able to form 90 degree bends using a homemade brake built with a piano hinge, but how do I straight the aluminum coil so it doesn't curl? I've had it weighted down for a day or so, and that helps, but it's still a long way from flat. If I install it in its present form it will curl at the ends and look pretty bad. Also, I want to overlap a few pieces in another spot, and with the curl the overlap won't work out too well.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Old 07-23-09, 04:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What happens if you flip it over & secure it in place?

Old 07-23-09, 05:24 PM
R
It curls at the corners. It's only secured on the bottom edge, so the top edge is free to do as it pleases.

Old 07-23-09, 05:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How about aluminum from an AC duct instead?

Old 07-23-09, 06:01 PM
R
I cut the corners off when I put up a piece of flashing for an inside corner. I never thought about the curling, it was just something that my company always did. Here's a poorly drawn perspective picture

Old 07-23-09, 07:46 PM
B
Received 42 Votes on 38 Posts
You can try rolling up your coil in the opposite direction, not as tight, and see if you can reduce the coil effect.

Bud

Old 07-23-09, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand the shape of the piece you say is curling. Are you making an inside corner diverter, like Rob_C drew?

If you have a "long" piece of coil that has one leg that's tall and stands straight up, and you want it to lay straight, you either need to add a bend onto the length of it (either a 90 degree bend, or even a slight crease will help), or fold a hem on the edge of it (a hem is a crushed 180 degree bend), or roll a rib into it with a special tool. Sometimes a combination of bends is useful to add rigidity to a piece.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: