hole in my roof

Old 07-22-09, 01:01 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hole in my roof

my roof had a leak that has led to a basketball size hole under the shingles. significant water damage to the inside has forced me to replace support beams and dry wall to 2 different areas. My question is there anyway I can just replace the area of roof with new boarding, felt, shingles etc.. without having to do the whole roof. I have a feeling I know the answer to this question just looking for alternatives to spending an additional 4-5 thousand dollars right now.---any help would be great
Old 07-22-09, 01:26 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 19,281
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Sure you can...its done all the time. Here's the basics, cause I'm no expert.

Strip the shingles and felt back to the good sheathing..then back to the nearest rafters/trusses. Strip shingles at least one add'l shingle past that. Probably 2 or 3 would be better. Kinda depends on condition and flexibility.

Add material to the trusses/rafters to support new roof decking. Will also need blocking between trusses/rafters.

Install new wood, install new felt or weathershield type material, install new shingles.

Remember, they have to be interwoven correctly and always overlap correctly from top to bottom.

As I said...this was the basic stuff...didn't want to get into specifics. I know what I'd do at my house...but can't see yours.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: