Roofing question.

Old 08-13-09, 11:39 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing question.

Looking for some advise. I'm a new Home Inspector and I did a mock inspection on my parents house. I'm not sure how to call something out. The house is a Gable roof w/ an attached garage. this attached garage appears to be a gable as well but the roof rake edge terminates 3 or 4 feet short of the edge creating a shallow (3') overhang and then the roof continues. I don't know how to describe the area under the overhang at the garage?

1. Is this portion a Hip or a Gable off of the main Gable? I need to know what to call this area under the overhang?

2. The reason I'm asking, there are exposed nails under this overhang that need to be sealed. What do you seal them with and what is the proper nail to use so they don't have to be sealed with anything?

3. Is there a way to post your own pictures on this site? I can only find a place to post pics from the web.

Thanks for your time

Old 08-13-09, 11:42 AM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 19,281
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Right pics need to be uploaded to a sharing site like Photobucket or Flickr then linked to or inserted in the post.

I've seen a site out there somewhere that is nothing BUT home inspection questions and answer..for HI's by HI's.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: