Cracked Beam In Attic

Old 08-27-09, 01:38 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracked Beam In Attic

Hello,

I found this beam over the garage while poking around in the attic. How should I repair this? Should I attatch a sister beam along side it? Not sure since the split is on the top. Do I need to drill through it first or can I use long wood screws?

Thanks,
Bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-09, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, no expert..but you could probably add another piece right beside that one (inline I mean..a bit longer or shorter of course) and you can find those same sort of nail plates at any home center.

You will need to use a heavy sledge to back up the opposite side when nailing.

Screws may be an option, but they don't have the same shear strength.

In actuality..it may not really be that big an issue. Lets see what one of the Pro's say.

Old 08-27-09, 03:02 PM
B
Thanks for the input. That's a good idea. I'll probably put a new one along the top edge. I know it may not be a big issue but I'd feel better knowing the roof is supported well.

Think I need to attatch the new one to the old one or just to the top and bottom trusses?

Also, are those nail plates something I can hammer in myself? If not I suppose I could make them out of wood?

Old 09-11-09, 12:39 PM
R
Odds are likey that the crack is no issue whatsoever. Typically a 2x4 is more than adequate to withstand the loads applied to a particular member (piece of lumber) in a fabricated truss and a smaller or damaged piece may be up to the job. Of course I have no way of knowing what type of stress the damaged area is subject to.
If it were my house and wasn't too old, I would make an attempt to discover the truss manufacturer and get a sealed repair. You can find the manufacturer through the builder, or may have that information along with the original truss order number stamped on the trusses somewhere in the attic.
After speaking with someone at the truss plant in order to indicate the location and type of repair required, I would expect to pay $0-$40 for a single page describing a simple repair approved by an engineer. The drawing and matching repair are nice to have when it is time to sell your house.
The repair would typically show drawing of the truss with a replacement or scabbed 2x4 and the proper nail or screw pattern to secure it.
No decent repair would used plates like those used in the original manufacture.