painting eavestroughs vs replacing

Old 09-12-09, 03:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting eavestroughs vs replacing

I've been quoted C$650 to paint just the eavestroughs on the front of my house. In total there is about 36 feet of eavestrough (18 feet on the first 1st floor and 18 feet on the upper roof) that needs to be cleaned and then painted. We are changing colors from white to light brown. It occured to me at this price it might be cheaper to replace the eavestroughs with one ones factory painted in the new colors. Any thoughts?

Kent

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-09, 03:54 PM
R
For that price I would just get new trough. If your pipes are still in good shape and the right colour, ask to reuse them to save some money.

I quote at $4/ft in northern ontario for aluminum seamless eavestrough, I would imagine you could find a similar price, putting you under $200 for all the work, much better than painting the old ones.

Hell, with the money you save you could get them to put screen on to keep them from getting plugged up and it would still be cheaper than the painters quote

Old 09-12-09, 04:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Assuming eavestroughs = gutters that sounds like a high price to clean and paint. Before deciding to replace or paint - get a few more estimates, both from painters and gutter companies.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-12-09, 04:57 PM
R
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Assuming eavestroughs = gutters
It's true, that's what we call them in Ontario. The names are used interchangeably, but if you look up gutters in the phone book it says "see eavestroughing"

Old 09-13-09, 06:18 PM
R
thanks for all the advice. This was my first time using the site and I was very impressed with the quality and speed of the responses.