A Tinfoil Roof ? Crazy or brilliant?

Old 09-17-09, 09:06 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb A Tinfoil Roof ? Crazy or brilliant?

I live in the California desert above Los Angeles and the heat waves we have are killing my AC unit. I recently read about these expensive reflective white paints based on space shuttle ceramic heat tile compounds. The idea being you paint your roof and lower your cooling load.

It occured to me that the same concept could be implemented using the age old tinfoil in the windows trick could be employed over an entire roof but I don't know if there are potential problems with doing that.

(1a) Would I want to just straight "giftwrap" my roof (using sideways strips and allowing overlap just like the shingles
- or -
(1b) Would it better to create some kind of subframe (1x2's) to create a small airflow space between the foil and the tar shingles?

(2) Is there any precedent to this in building codes (any examples from anywhere in the USA) ?

(3) Would I want to put the tinfoil shiney side up or down?

(4) Would I need to work with the local FAA or airforce base if everything else was OK?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-09, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Uhh yer idea is sound but your execution would be crazy. Tinfoil..as in "tears if you look at it hard"? They make metal roofs and roll type roofing that can be painted bright white or silver and are installed on sleepers as you noted...but tinfoil? uh uh.

Old 09-18-09, 04:18 PM
Tin Foil roof

Good idea, wrong product. The first good wind would blow it away. You need a metal roof. We have done quite a few of them. We first put down fanfold insulation on the existing roof, then put down 1x4's down the whole roof, and space them every 2' up the roof, then the metal roof panels. You can get them up to 40' long, so have them cut to fit and I would get white. Then you just screw the metal to the 1x4's and your done. Don't forget the ridge cap or the gable covers. Good Luck

Old 09-18-09, 05:25 PM
P
I think he's pulling our chains...who in their right mind would think tin foil would have any strength at all....have you ever cooked a turkey? This is a joke right?
Go with a sheet metal roof, with underside ventilation...a good guage, not christmas wrapping lol

Old 09-18-09, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Nope, note he's from Californya. Anything goes.