Big O help

Old 09-28-09, 08:23 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Big O help

I'm not sure if this is the correct section...however:
I'm trenching about 150' to drain a lowland section toward the lake.
I"ve trenched through clay, 30" deep to bedrock...with some irregularities that prevents a consistant slope. The plan is, to install 4" Big O, perforated, with "sock". Covered with sand, this should take care of -at least- the high water flooding conditions that exist in spring

The problem: cold climate in winter, on some occasions the section will remain full of water in winter, insufficiently deep to prevent freezing.

Question; does big O pemit freezing expansion/contration? Any assistance will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-09, 11:11 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you're using a perforated weeping tile, it should leave enough room for the ice to expand without causing serious breakage.

But this is just a total guess, I honestly haven't dug up any old weeping tiles carefully enough to notice any damage from frost. It seems that its lifespan will be cut short through it getting clogged with roots and dirt before it will burst from frost.

I'd be more concerned about the sections that don't have enough slope. I understand that 150' is a really long way to run water and it's hard to get enough slope for it to drain properly, especially with bedrock, but really try when you're laying it to get it level or better