How do I find and repair this Foundation Leak?

Old 10-01-09, 04:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How do I find and repair this Foundation Leak?

Hello, like the title says, I need some help with water entering in my house at the ground level. I dug down a couple feet to expose the foundation, but I have no clue what I'm looking for (I don't see any cracks). I do see a lip between the cement and the bricks, which I think might be where the water is entering. Can you guys offer any advise? Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-09, 07:23 PM
One possibility is that the water could be behind the brick from leaks in and around the siding or where the siding meets the brick. That cute little accent/projection at the top of the brick could catch a lot of water.

There should be a moisture barrier in the sheathing with flashing to direct any leakage down and away from the sheathing. Your brick veneer should have "weeps" (voids in the vertical joint every 24" or so), that will allow the water to exit. I did not see and weeps on the photos. Because of the lack of weeps, the moisture will just go down and accumulate on the sill plate and leak in or out of the wall. In you case, it could be leaking inward.

One way to find out if it has moisture in the walls is to have an inspector with a moisture meter with long probes (4"-5") make couple of investigations on the inside wall below (6"-8" above the floor) the window and slightly outside of the window area. If you have high moisture, you have water coming down. If the is no moisture found the you could have moisture, but it can travel horizontally before leaking out.

Dick

Old 10-01-09, 11:03 PM
R
Thank you VERY MUCH for your detailed answer. I'm going to read it a few more times and do a little more research based in the info you provided. I may also post a few more pictures tomorrow that will show a clearer picture of the top of the brick. Thanks Again!!