Downspout question

Old 10-01-09, 04:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Downspout question

Looking at the picture below, how many downspouts would I need for around the front door? It is not a large area but I did not know if I could just do one downspout by the landscaping on the right or if I would need a second one on the left which means the water would coming out the downspout over the walkway.

Also, for the metal that runs in the two roof valleys, which you can see in the picture, can I cut it so it doesn't hang out so much? Otherwise it would go over the gutters. Can I just cut back as far as the shingles?

Picture

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-09, 06:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yes, cut the flashing to where it won't interfere with water run off into the gutters. I would install two downspouts as moving that much water around two corners may be too much. Make sure the turn out where it meets the walkway does not stop short, but actually runs over the concrete to keep it from eating away at the dirt behind it. Either that, or dig a hole under the walkway and run a drain under it.

Old 10-03-09, 07:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Yes, cut the flashing to where it won't interfere with water run off into the gutters. I would install two downspouts as moving that much water around two corners may be too much. Make sure the turn out where it meets the walkway does not stop short, but actually runs over the concrete to keep it from eating away at the dirt behind it. Either that, or dig a hole under the walkway and run a drain under it.
Thanks for the info. I realize I need to slope down slightly toward each downspout, but what about the section that would be in the middle of the two roof valleys?

Old 10-04-09, 12:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The water will naturally fall to either side then be sucked down by suction of the water going to the two downspouts. As small as it is, you won't have any problems. I think tilting that particular piece would detract from the front of the house.