Wood roof shingles

Old 10-12-09, 11:22 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Wood roof shingles

We live on an island in the Northeast and have a lot of moss and lichen on our wood shingle roof. I am looking for an effective, environmentally-friendly product for cleaning our roof. Are there good alternatives to Chlorine and TSP. I have seen a number of products recommended on-line: 'Roof Reviver', 'Roof-Be-Clean', 'Spray & Forget' and 'Shingle Cleaner OX'. Which would you recommend?

Also, after cleaning the roof, are zinc or copper strips effective in preventing a new build up of lichen?

Many thanks!

P.S. Also, how do I insert a picture?

Old 10-20-09, 02:52 PM
A
The greenest solution might be to just wash it with a pressure washer spraying from the top down so you do not force water up under the shingles. Use a wide fan tip though or you will do more damage than good.
Zinc strips help prevent algae from forming, but I do not think they will be effective for lichen. Air flow and sun will be your best defense against lichen algae and mold. Are there any low hanging limbs you could trim to allow more sunlight to reach the roof?

Old 10-23-09, 04:43 PM
T
Thanks

Thanks very much for getting back to me. Good suggestions.
Our roof is almost due south and is actually very exposed. The meadow we live on, however, is very misty. This is a classic problem here.
Tad

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: