Roll roofing on a flat utility shed?

Old 10-26-09, 09:19 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roll roofing on a flat utility shed?

I have a free standing utility shed (4' x 11') which needs a new roof before the snow flies here very soon.

I don't know a whole lot about roofing and wouldn't consider doing my house myself but this is just a utility shed so its fair game.

Based on my reading thus far I figured the best and easiest was going to be roll roofing - new deck (1/2" ply), nail on a drip edge, nail or staple felt underlayment, appropriate adhesive and then lay two overlapping rolls of roofing down lengthwise.

My issue - the shed roof is flat. Seems roll roofing is only recommended for minimum 1 in 12 or 2 in 12 pitches. Big deal or not?

Should I look to some other method? Should I add some pitch?

Thanks for input.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-09, 05:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not a roofer [they should be along later] but I'd be leary of a flat roof, especially with any covering that has seams that aren't sealed. You'd probably need a torch down or hot tar type roof. What about snow load? A flat roof isn't going to shed the snow.

Old 11-11-09, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Yes, I agree.............Your roof will not have a very long life as the joints between the rolled roofing material will fail.

I am not sure how this shed is oriented to know how this would look but 2x6 boards cut 5 feet long and tapered from 5 1/2" to 1 1/2" and fastened to the 4' width would give you some slope and a bit of an overhang.