Delivered to Wrong Roof

Old 10-26-09, 01:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Delivered to Wrong Roof

A deliver truck delivered bundles of shingles to my attached garage roof, the problem is I never ordered them, they were meant for a house down the street.
In the process of delivering them to the roof top the punched a bunch of Nail holes to hold the bundles in place. The roof is only 4 years old and now it has 20 holes in it.

I am now going after the company to replace the garage roof or compensate me financially for the damage. The shingles are discontinued and they are having a problem finding enough to replace the garage roof to match the house.

Could I get some opinions on what people think is fair compensation, some contractor options who have dealt with this would be great.

Old 10-26-09, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
the shingles are 4 years old and discontinued? Mind me asking exactly what they are?

Old 10-26-09, 05:19 PM
There iko Renneseance
They have been discontinued because of quality issues

Old 10-26-09, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
I see. I had something similar happen with some Owens Corning shingles, but they were just discontinued in my area. (Central US) I had to get one bundle shipped FedEx overnight from California, where they were still made. $25 for the shingles, $125 for shipping.

Honestly, I'd suggest you go for the financial compensation, and then caulk the holes shut yourself.

Old 10-29-09, 05:54 AM
J
Easy fix

Some times I have to go onto a steep roof that requires some kind of brackets to be nailed to the roof. Some people will disagree with this but over my years this works the best for holes. I like to nail directly through the shingle instead of lifting it to put the nail under it. Reason being bending the shingle up far enough to swing a hammer puts alot of strain on that shingle and if its got any years on it it will probably crack. When I remove the nail I lift the shingle up about 1 inch just enough to get a caulking gun under it with a LITTLE roof cement applied to the hole then press the shingle easly till you see the cement just comming out of the hole you may need a putty knife to loosen the seal on the shingle. this way you won't have a spot of caulking on the surface of the roof you can even go into the gutter and get a little bit of granuals to push into the cement if you want to. That is an easy and good fix but no excuse for what happened to you. Good luck JohBeer 4U2n

Old 10-29-09, 06:23 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I have to add. Contractor in NJ sent his foundation crew over to get his next house started. A couple of days later he got the call, the foundation was all set. He drove over, and yes, on the wrong lot. Cost him a real bundle.

The company who sent out the shingles has insurance for mistakes like that, or at least they should. I hate it when someone obviously makes a mistake like yours and then wants to fix it on the cheap. You had a 4 year old perfect roof and you are entitled to that or something better when all is said and done, plus all expenses involved, plus compensation for grief and aggravation. Check for any other damage, gutters, driveway, lawn, as when you sign off there will be no going back. A cash settlement and JBG's quick fix sounds good to me, but the cash amount needs to be the full boat. You shouldn't have to compromise.

Let them know if you have to bring an attorney on board it will be at their expense. You can have another company give you an estimate and pay for it and add it to their bill. Even IF they come up with some left over shingles, I rarely see new shingles match 4 year old ones, it will looked patched.

Remember, whatever you push for, they are going to offer less, so push hard.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: