worried about mold

Old 11-03-09, 06:11 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
worried about mold

OK,
I started a project to reshingle my roof and I've got a problem.
I had the old shingles tore off and had an issues with a sag in the roof. Fixed the sag and had 90% of the new sheeting on when it started to rain. I hurried to get the rest of the sheeting put on and ran down to the supply store and quickly purchased some poly and covered the roof. A small area of the roof was exposed to the rain for about 30 minutes without sheeting. And the rest was exposed for about 90 minutes while I ran to the store and by the time I got it sealed. It's still raining and no new water is coming in, but I've got some pretty good size leaks in the drywall from when the water that got in before I could get the poly on. Half of the house is blown insulation and the other half is the rolled out fiberglass stuff. My main question is when I should put the shingles on. Should I pull the plastic off after it starts to rain and wait a few days for it to air out...will it air out with the sheeting and everything on? Or is it a waste of time, and I should just put the shingles on as soon as the sheeting looks dry? How easily does mold form in the insulation? Do I need to pull the sheeting off, and the insulation out? What can I do to prevent mold? Many questions..sorry.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by drhodes; 11-03-09 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added a couple things
Old 11-03-09, 06:21 PM
A
I would shingle it and prevent any further water leaks from happening.
Will you get mold? Maybe, maybe not. Can you get to the area in the attic and remove the wet insulation or at least check and see how wet it is?
Will you need to remove drywall to repair it? Because you could remove wet insulation at that time.
Is your attic well ventilated?
Sorry to answer your question with more questions....lol

Old 11-03-09, 07:06 PM
D
to get at the part I'm most worried about I'd have to either rip up the new sheeting on the roof, or rip off the old drywall inside. No it's not well ventilated on the "bad half". It's an attached garage converted to an addition. The main part of the house with an actual attic is well ventilated, but the addition is now. Infact I'm now thinking about cutting in a few vents when I put on shingles.

Old 11-04-09, 05:45 PM
A
I'm just not sure if mold will occur or not. It sounds like you may have gotten a fair amount of water in there. It will dry out eventually and the mold will not continue to grow without a moisture source. But I guess if it was my house and I thought the insulation was very wet I would replace it.
You really should try and get that section of the attic vented properly, improper attic ventilation can make the shingles fail prematurely among other problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: