leaking metal roof

Old 11-11-09, 11:26 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking metal roof

I've "inherited" a leaking metal roof. I believe the problem is due to the way the sloping panels join with the mostly flat (very slight slope) roof creating areas where water can pool.

It appears to have been patched with a silicone sealer that is peeling away from the metal. Then a coat of some sort of silver paint-like sealer was applied but it just split wherever the silicone was peeling away.

This can be seen in the following two pictures:

roof 007-2 pictures from home & garden photos on webshots

roof 003-2 pictures from home & garden photos on webshots

Because I don't have the money to have the roof redone at this time I just want to patch it so the leaking stops. I'm thinking about using Henry Wet Patch Roof Cement fortified with the yellow fabric tape.

Will that do the job for the time being or is there something better/easier/cheaper?

Old 11-11-09, 12:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is it feasable to scrape off the silicone, unfasten the bottom of the roof panels, liberally caulk with silicone and then screw the panels back down?

Old 11-11-09, 12:43 PM
B
Thanks for the welcome. You may well see more from me in the future.

I'm new to this home repair stuff so please bear with me and my questions.

If the silicone didn't stick and stop the water when applied on top, will it adhere underneath any better or won't it just peel away only I won't be able to see it?

Or may it have been the type of silicone that was previously used? Is there a specific type for metal roofs (say as opposed to the type one uses on glass aquariums)?

I guess it could be feasible to unfasten the panels but a quick count says it's going to be something like 100 screws. Also, as you can see the joints are varied and staggered. I'm just afraid that if I start taking things up I'm going to create new problems.

Old 11-11-09, 01:04 PM
B
It also may not be feasible to lift the panels around the vents (see the following picture).

roof 006-2 pictures from home & garden photos on webshots

Any ideas for these areas?

Old 11-11-09, 03:03 PM
Received 60 Upvotes on 54 Posts
OH MY What a mess. As you have found the roof is poorly done. The tar and tape will work for a while. What you need to do is be sure the water and maybe later snow and ice need to be diverted away from the joints. Flashing would be great but the ribs (highest part of the tin) will be troublesome. You need to be sure the area where the joints are now are higher than the surrounding area. Go from the nearest rib, over the joint and past at least 2 inches. Its gonna take a lot of tar to build these areas up so the water runs away from the joint. Around the pipies will be even more problems. Maybe you can seal it real well then install a boot over the joint and then seal that.
Putting the silicone under the tin as suggested is like making a gasket there. If you do not wish to take the tin up then at least get the caulk to push as far under the piece as you can before you install the tar.
It won't be pretty but if you put enough tar around the joint to keep the water away you will solve your problems. Maybe after a week or so after the tar job you could put on some of the white mobile home sealer to make things look better. Let the tar mold itself to the area a week or so first though before you use the white sealer.

Old 11-11-09, 04:35 PM
A
You've got yourself a mess there, but you knew that...lol

Try Sashco brand "Through The Roof" sealant instead of silicone or tar. It's not a permanent fix, but it seams to adhere well and still stay flexible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: