Connection Gutters to Foundation Drain

Old 11-17-09, 02:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connection Gutters to Foundation Drain

We're going to be building a new house soon...

What precautions, if any, need to be taken to connect gutters to the standard foundation drain pipe?

The 70 y.o. house I will be moving out of was waterproofed by Tuff-n-Dry before I bought the place. Based on the paperwork (and the dry basement), it appears that they did a good job.

The paperwork shows that they: excavated to footers, put in 4" footer drain tile, installed "Danozo (?) waterproofing membrane", installed pink "Warm-n-Dri drainage insulation board" (is this what they call a "strip drain"?) and installed filter cloth & gravel over pipe as normal. So far, so good, I think. Then...they hooked all of the gutter downspouts to the footer drain that sends everything down the hill in the back yard.

It's worked fine for several years now and I like not having to worry about the gutter water ending back up at my foundation wall.

So...does this seem like a good way to do NEW construction? Anyone had experience with this?

FYI, we've got lots of clay soil here.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-09, 03:30 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Drains

I would not add that extra water to the bottom of my foundation. Pipe the gutters off with a separate pipe. You could utilize the foundation pipe once you get below the foundation grade as the pipe is routed away from the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: