Roof Framing Question

Old 11-20-09, 12:41 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Framing Question

I'm trying to figure out the proper way to handle a roofing situation. Here is the deal, I'm doing some work for someone who bought a home with an addition that was not permitted and not built to code. In an effort to get it up to code, they have asked me to among other things frame a new roof for the addition. The existing roof on the addition is a low slope shed roof (not even a 1:12) and ties into the house which has about a 6:12 slope. The new plans call for a 2:12 hip roof. I'm trying to figure out the proper way to attach the new rafters to the low slope shed roof on the addition and the 6:12 on the original roof.

I know normally you put valley plate down where the new rafters meet the original roof and have them connect to it. It doesn't seem practical to do that when the slope is a 2:12 though because this slope requires the rafter to make contact for about the first 3 feet from the tail. So how should it be fastened? With clips? Blocking between the rafters where the plate would go?

The same applies at the eave of the addition? What will the inspector expect to see?

I hope I made sense. I'm not really experienced with roof framing so any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-09, 05:53 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,265
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Who drew the plans? If an architect drew them, there should be a section called deck detail or something similar, that shows what fasteners to use. I've brought decks & other things up to code. There shouldn't be any guess work. Go back to the architect if it isn't clear.
Old 11-20-09, 06:22 PM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 9,460
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi tider, Pulpo is correct, the drawings should detail answers to all of your questions.

If by "plans" however, you are referring to your "discussions with the home owner" and they are leaving the "how to" up to you, then you need to get an engineer involved. You want something that is built correctly and meets your local codes. We can't do all of that for you.

If you have drawings and a building permit, then on to the next step.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: