Leaking Roof Valley - Question

Old 11-21-09, 11:07 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking Roof Valley - Question

Hello all. I have an addition on my old house. I recently had the shed roof on that addition replaced with a gable roof, as the rest of the house has a gable roof. The contractor framed the roof, but I laid the shingles and the valley flashing, etc. Everything has turned out well except the valleys; they leak. I've applied a lot of trowel-grade roofing tar (the kind you get at Home Depot for 10 bucks per gallon). The leaking has gotten better, but it's still leaking.

Here's my question. I'd like to spray some sealant on the valley area and a few feet to each side that will seal the heck out of the valley; I mean, I want overkill. I'm sick of the leaking. I don't care how bad it looks to have a lot of sealant up there. I'm going to replace the roof on the whole house in the next 5 years anyway, so I don't care how it looks. Is there a readily available product for this? I imagine a spray would be best so it can fill in the smallest openings. If such a product is available, can a reasonably competent DIYer do this job or does it take specialized training and/or equipment to apply it correctly?

Thanks.

Old 11-21-09, 12:53 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi eg, I'm certainly not a roofer, but I have wrestled with a few. If I'm reading right, you want to cover a wide area to each side of the valley to stop the leak. Here's my opinion. The leak is probably coming from water traveling sideways under the shingles. The capillary action of water between two very close surfaces can pull it some distance.

So, how did you construct the valley, lap the shingles or cut them straight, with flashing down the middle? Did you use Ice and water shield up and down the valley and how wide. How wide is the flashing?

A picture or two from the outside would help. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Bud

Old 11-21-09, 09:37 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Bud, thanks. I don't have any photos yet, but here's what I did. I tied in the new gable roof into the old by cutting back the old shingles and tucking 10 inch flashing underneath the shingles on both sides. I then applied trowel-grade tar where the shingles meet the flashing to seal where they meet. At this point, I'm not really concerned about whether I installed the flashing in an ideal fashion, but rather whether a prophylactic remedy is available: I'd like to spray seal a very wide area on both sides of the valley to ensure nothing can get through.

Old 11-22-09, 06:36 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Am I correct assume that there is only 5 inches of flashing on each side of the valley? That is not enough. Trying to make up for that by smearing everything over with tar or anything else probably won't ever remedy the situation. You will be up there all the time applying more tar trying to stop the leaks. It will be easier over the long run to just do it right. 5 years is a long time to have a leaky roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: