Roof transition questions

Old 11-28-09, 02:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof transition questions

I'm replacing my (1894 Victorian) wrap-around front porch roof, framing and all. On the end, it abuts a vertical wall.

There are two issues to address (photo):

1. The decking has about a 1:4 slope to the end, but also
a 2-3 degree slope into the wall.

2. There is a ledge that extends to the left which aligns
with the roof on the edge, but is about 2" higher than
the roof at the wall.

Both the roof and the ledge will be covered with the same shingles. How should I finish out the transition?

A previous roofer laid the shingles over felt only, and put "L" flashing on top of the shingles (a situation of which I was unaware). This created a funnel, sending the water down the inside of the wall, rotting the bottom beam.

Upon discovering the topology, I rebuilt this section once before by adding a small ramp about 8" deep and 2" high at the wall (photo). This reversed the slope at the wall and was even with the top of the ledge. One final small triangle of plywood tied together my ramp and the ledge to the decking. I finished it out with felt, flashing, and shingles, and it worked.

I believe there is a more proper way to do this, however. The final roof will be installed in the next few weeks by a real roofer but I need to get something in place temporarily in the mean time. I plan to use felt and flashing, but hold off on shingles. I'd like my temporary fix to be incorporated into the final roof as much as possible.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by smokinleroy; 11-28-09 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Incomplete paste
Old 11-29-09, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
I'd suggest you purchase a roll of Grace Ice and Water Shield, and adhere that directly to the roof sheathing instead of using any felt paper. It sounds like you may have a low slope situation. You can roll it up the sidewalls and it can act as a temporary flashing until your roofer comes.

You should probably also run this past the contractor that will be working on your roof to make sure this doesn't affect his plans at all. He would probably not like tearing off the ice and water shield at all.

You can also include pictures in your posts if you need us to picture something... a picture is worth 1000 words.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: