roofing/siding problem

Old 12-03-09, 12:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roofing/siding problem

My house is all brick. The roof hangs over about a foot on every side, is fitted with a gutter and gutter-like material on the underside, and then retreats back to the brick house. The underside of the roof extension, which is like a flashing or siding (for lack of an appropriate term) does not extend all the way to the side of the house (as it should) in all areas, but leaves small gaps. Bees built nests in these gaps last summer and became very aggressive when the cold weather came, trying everything to get into the house, often successfully. I have very young children and am afraid they will get stung, as I did in the middle of the night last year.

Can someone please help me identify a sealant that I can use that is compatible with the "flashing" and the brick? Or, is there a more appropriate tyoe of solution?

Thank you so much!

Jon

Old 12-03-09, 02:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jon!

Could you post a pic or two to give us a better idea of what you have?

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 12-04-09, 07:08 AM
J
Pictures coming ...

Mark, I sure will get some pictures, but I will not have internet access this weekend, so If I am unable to get them and post them today, it will be Monday.

Thank you so much for your interest in my problem.

jon

Old 12-04-09, 09:13 AM
J
Can't uplaod picture

Mark, my wife was able to get a picture with her cell phone, however, I can not figure out how to post it (the 'insert picture' command above only gives the option of providing a 'url'. I do not know of a site theat I can upload it to in order to direct you to it, either. Sorry, I am a bit of a know-nothing when it comes to this (surprised I got this far!) - thanks for your time, though.

Jon

Old 12-04-09, 09:19 AM
J
i think i figured it out:

roof picture by jonc123 - Photobucket

can you see the picture?

The bees' nests are in the 90 degree angle where the underside of the roof overang meets the brick siding.

thanks again!

Old 12-04-09, 09:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, I know where the directions are for loading pics but that doesn't mean I know how to do it myself

I assume from your description that you have gaps either in the drip flashing [small piece of metal that extends out from under the shingles to help rain from running down onto the soffit] or the aluminum fascia has gaps. Am I on the right track? Are the gaps at the end of a wall? or scattered through out? How wide are the gaps? Metal on both sides? or is it where the metal meets the brick?

Old 12-04-09, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, I think you mean where the soffit meets the brick. How wide is the gap? Normally the soffit is fairly tight with gaps at the mortar joints. If the gap isn't too big, caulking should fill it but it might be difficult to get a good looking caulk job without much caulking experience.

Old 12-04-09, 10:27 AM
J
caulking

the gap varies, anywhere from no gap at all to maybe an 1" or so, from what I could see from the ladder.

I will try the caulking, as you suggest (this should be interesting haha). I had thought about caulking, but was not sure if it would stick on siding and brick. Thanks for the help!

Have a great weekend!

Old 12-04-09, 01:45 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Check the tube to make sure it adheres to masonry. I know GE's Silicone I will not but their Silicone II does. Ran into that issue today and had to run back to Home Depot.

Old 12-04-09, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I usually use a good grade of siliconized acrylic latex caulk and don't recall ever having any bonding issues. No caulking will stick to dirty surfaces. A stiff brush will probably remove enough dirt/dust if it's an issue. Use a clear latex caulk might hide any lack of caulking skills. Clear latex caulk goes on milky but dries clear.

1" is pretty wide for caulking. It can be done if you insert a backer rod first [that way your caulking to the backer rod bridging the wide gap. I'm wondering if the soffit is pulling away from the brick?? I'm a painter, not a carpenter so I'm not sure what is the best way to address that - reposting in the 'lumber and siding' section might provide more help.

Old 12-07-09, 09:37 AM
J
Thank you

Mark, I greatly appreciate your insights. They will certainly come in handy when I get into this project.

Thanks a million!

Have a wonderful Holiday!!

Jon

Old 12-07-09, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
Are you sure that your soffit j-channel hasn't come loose? It doesn't make sense to me that there should be a variable sized gap between the j-channel and the brick. But if it was sagging (if it has come detached) that would explain the sizable gap and the taper.

Try pushing the back of the soffit up and see if it will go up any farther.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: