coating pourch roof

Old 12-03-09, 09:33 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
coating pourch roof

Hello, I just recently had the support beam replaced on my pourch roof and would like to coat the entire roof with something to make sure that it is water proof. The roof was originally metal, then it appears that over the years someone had coated it with something and then when I had the roofers redo my main roof (flat roof) they coated the pourch roof with Aluminum Coating only, which with my air conditioner and everything didnt last very long.

The roof is on a very slight grade (no more than 15 degrees - I would say), I was looking at some cool-applied, brush on coatings, but got confused on all the options, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction (fibered, nonfibered, type etc...) If this is an apporpriate method, should I do an aluminum coat? I would like to apply it soon though I saw some of these products need to be applied in 60+ degree and rising weather, it is december and getting cooler out, is there a product I can apply now or should I wait for the spring to do this?

Your help would be greatly appretiated, I attached some pictures though they are not the best.

Old 12-04-09, 03:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
I'm not sure I totally understand what you want

Paints don't seal leaks. Paint is for looks and protection from the elements. Asphalt fibered aluminum paint only has minor leak sealing properties. Elastromeric roof coatings seal a little better but because they are latex based any metal with rust [or tendency to rust] needs to have a full coat of a solvent based primer applied first.

I have found that it is always best to fix all leaks before applying any coating. Paints are temperature sensitive so read the label before applying. It may be best to do what's necessary to make it watertight and then paint when the weather is more conducive for application and drying/curing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: