How To Repair Rotted Rake (Gable Edge)

Old 12-05-09, 09:21 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 15
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How To Repair Rotted Rake (Gable Edge)

I just learned the part of my roof that is rotting is called a rake. It is the edge trim part of the gable.

Anyway, I have 3 gables on my new house. When the shingles were installed (about 10 years ago) they didn't put them over the ends of these rakes, so all of them are badly weathered, and 1 of them is completely rotted (only at the very end / exposed portion).

My plan is to wrap the ends in sheet metal or add a shingle or two (of only about 2 inch thickness) to the exposed part. Which is the better approach?

As for the rotted board, it is rotted about 1 inch down into the 4 inch thick board, but it is only that last 6-8 inches (of a board probably 6 feet long). I don't want to replace the entire thing, what is the best way get rid of the rot? Could I just cut out the section and replace it with a clean piece? (and then proceed to either shingle or wrap it, from above).
Old 12-06-09, 02:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,265
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can probably just replace the rotted section. If you could post a few pictures to
someone could give you a better answer.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: