Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

How to repair leak where shingled roof meets aluminum roof?

Old 12-10-09, 05:41 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a leak between my home's roof and the aluminum roof of my screened enclosure. It seems when the aluminum enclosure was installed there was never any flashing used to cover the seam. They used some sort of roofing tape and then used a silicone type coating over the first 2 rows of shingles. I have tried to determine the water's entry point but have not been successfull. I have been told to use flashing but I am not sure how to do this without damaging the first 2 rows of shingles being as they are coated with the silicone type liquid.

Does anyone have any possible solutions?

Would using a vinyl type flashing which can be glued down be a good option?

I would appreciate any advice and thank you in advance for your time!

Old 12-10-09, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
If you can take a digital picture of your problem area, and upload it to a site like photobucket, you can always post the link to the picture here.

If I'm picturing your roof and room correctly, it probably attaches to the fascia and is a low pitched roof. There is no good way to flash this without removing and replacing shingles, so you better get used to the idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: